Our experience at Brisbane based HR consulting firm, Harrison Human Resources is that most managers and business owners understand that engaged employees are happy and productive employees, who deliver higher levels of customer service, and make the business more money. These findings have been supported by decades of research, which have proven the link between employee engagement, happier customers and an increase in profits.
Recent research by Right Management across Australia and New Zealand workplaces found that higher levels of employee engagement resulted in: 44% higher retention; 33% more profit; ;50% more productivity; and 56% higher customer loyalty. Unfortunately the research also showed that 47% of the surveyed employees were disconnected, which means they had low levels of job and organisational engagement.
Yet in so many workplaces there are no formal measures in place to actively measure employee engagement. Gaining feedback from your employees on their levels of engagement is the first step to improve employee engagement. For some small and medium sized businesses, it may sound too complex or too time consuming to do but failing to address and manage engagement can be the difference between a business that thrives, and one that dies. Harrison Human Resources uses a practical and low-cost 10 Step Employee Engagement Plan to assist small and medium sized businesses to increase employee engagement.
Especially in tougher economic times where people will take their business elsewhere, addressing and managing the engagement of your staff is equally as important as developing good leadership and customer loyalty – but sadly is so often overlooked.
Steps to Measure, Monitor and Boost Employee Engagement
- Understand staff perceptions about their workplace and managers from surveying employees anonymously.
- Formal training, mentoring, coaching of managers to help drive the skills, behaviour and strategy that is desired throughout the business. The best engagement scores will come, or will improve when managers have acts to boost engagement as part of their KPIs
- Refining or implementing a recognition and reward program to identify and encourage excellent performance and behaviour.
- Help employees understand the purpose behind what they do and why their job matters in the ‘bigger picture’ of helping the business to achieve its objectives. Aside from making money – what are the reasons your company is in business?
- Introduce an open door policy when it comes to communicating issues and allow concerns and ideas to be heard – ASK open questions and LISTEN to the answers
- What are the Values of your organisation? To bring your Values alive you need to be clear about the desired Behaviours in your organisation, and be committed to implementing them as the basis of HOW employees do their job.
Why does engagement matter?
Employee engagement is one of the most important business levers and a major indicator of the overall ‘health of the business’. It’s not always an easy thing to address, and it will need a dedicated approach from everyone in the organisation. The rewards for understanding, measuring and striving to improve employee engagement will result in benefits that go far beyond an increase in profits.
Depending on the practices, behaviours and culture of your business will prioritise which of these steps are the most important to address first, however all are recommend to be assessed to boost your business’ overall employee engagement.
Our Brisbane human resources consultants at Harrison Human Resources will use their 10 Step Employee Engagement Plan to to measure engagement in your Brisbane business over a wide range of areas, conduct a needs analysis to assess where there could be engagement shortfalls, and help you in a practical way to deliver higher levels of employee engagement – and profit.